Re: [xml-dev] recommand tools for generate XML from WORD?

Hi Rita,

I'm the developer of the DocBook roundtripping system, which (kind
of) does what you're looking for; for a particular schema.  At the
moment it is not a tool, rather the word processor templates and XSL
stylesheets are carefully hand-crafted to achieve the translation
from WordML/ODF/Pages to DocBook (and vice-versa).  That is, the
DocBook schema is not directly used in the process.

Having done this work I think it may be possible to drive the
translation using a schema, but there's a lot more research and
development required.  One thing to consider is the constraints such
a system must impose upon the structures that it is possible to
represent in the word processor document.  It is certainly not
possible (or would be very difficult and/or unwieldy) to represent
every possible combination of DocBook elements (consider the
infinitely nestable "section" element).

I'm interested to hear that you have found _too_ many of this type of
system to choose from.  Of course, the system described above is
complicated by the fact that it is a two-way system.  A one-way
translation is much easier.

HTHs,
Steve Ball