Re: [xml-dev] XML Feeds vs SQL Queries

Len Bullard wrote:
> Thanks Jonathan.  That makes sense to me but it doesn't account for the rise
> in RSS/Atom systems when a) a messaging system is more reliable

LOL. Messaging systems are reliable? That's a good one.

I've been neck deep in messaging systems for the last two months, and
"reliable" is the last word I'd use to describe them. The first word I'd
use? It's hard to pick, but "annoying", "hideous", "buggy" and
"error-prone" all come to mind. We're getting ready to rip out the
messaging system completely because it just can't handle, well, anything.

Possibly if you've got the budget for MQSeries and multiple expensive
professionals dedicated to babysitting it full-time, you can make
messaging reliable. I've certainly heard bedtime stories about companies
that run like that; but on anything approximating a startup or small
business budget, messaging is a sure-fire way to kill a system.

Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!