RE: [xml-dev] XML vs relational database

I think the XML Schema Recommendation would be easier to read and digest if the document had a different structure.  I think Part 1 could even be split into two Parts, or at least have two very distinct sections--one specifying the abstract component model and the validation rules, and the other specifying the mapping from XML schema instances to the component model.  Then you could specify not just one but two such mappings (one more human-friendly for use by schema authors and mainly directed FROM the schema infoset(s) TO the schema components, the other more machine-oriented and inherently bidirectional and producing schema infoset instances that are more isomorphic with the abstract schema components).   I think the current approach addresses two very different levels of concerns within the same specification text (with the respective portions being interleaved in each clause), and so makes the specification harder to read and understand.  For example, I believe the dist!
 inction between a schema and a schema document, or between a complex type and a <complexType>, is not very clear to the average user today, but might be more clear if those two things were defined in distinct parts of the text.

Alessandro Triglia
OSS Nokalva