RE: [xml-dev] XML vs relational database

The SQL standard certainly continues to define this set of views and
tables (known as the Information Schema).  ISO/IEC 9075-11:2003 is
the most recent edition, but a 2008 version is expected by
mid-2008.  See your countries national standardization body for a
copy or go to http://www.ansi.org and click on the Web Store link.

As Mike said, this has been available for a Very Long Time (it may
seem like 20 years, but it was in the 1992 edition of the standard
that the Information Schema came into being),

As a matter of fact, the call-level interface (CLI, of which ODBC is
an implementation) defined in 9075-3:2003 (soon to be 2008) defines
an API to get the same information without having to do all those
annoying SELECTs ;^)

Hope this helps,
    Jim

At 8/16/2007 06:19 AM, Michael Kay wrote:
> > In a relational database, a standard query
> > allows to retreive data, but does not allow to investigate
> > the design of the database
>
>Not true. The SQL standard defines a standard set of tables that hold
>metadata, ie. information about tables and columns. At any rate, it did so
>about 20 years ago which was the last time I looked.
>
>Michael Kay
>http://www.saxonica.com/

Jim Melton --- Editor of ISO/IEC 9075-* (SQL)     Phone: +1.801.942.0144
   Co-Chair, W3C XML Query WG; F&O (etc.) editor    Fax : +1.801.942.3345
Oracle Corporation        Oracle Email: jim dot melton at oracle dot com
1930 Viscounti Drive      Standards email: jim dot melton at acm dot org
Sandy, UT 84093-1063 USA          Personal email: jim at melton dot name
=  Facts are facts.   But any opinions expressed are the opinions      =
=  only of myself and may or may not reflect the opinions of anybody   =
=  else with whom I may or may not have discussed the issues at hand.  =