Re: [xml-dev] Microsoft buys the Swedish vote on OOXML?

Rick,

Before I say anything else, let me make myself very clear: I DO NOT
SPEAK FOR MY EMPLOYER ON THIS TOPIC.  In fact, I have removed my
normal signature block to avoid any possibility of confusion on that
subject.  But, in the interests of full disclosure, I have to reveal
that I work for Oracle, which has been perceived (incorrectly, as it
turns out) as having a strong position on this subject.

Speaking strictly as a multi-decade participant in international and
domestic standardization, I share Jonathan's concern about the
seeming abuse of the standards processes in this situation.  In
several National Bodies, not just Sweden, a flood of new members
arrived literally days before a vote was scheduled to be held on this
specific fast-track document.  In all but one or two of those
National Bodies, that flood was sufficient to reverse what would have
been a vote against the standard.  The vast majority of those new
members were Microsoft partners, some closer than others.

In addition, several new National Bodies suddenly joined the process
at the last minute -- National Bodies that had never previously
expressed the slightest interest in international standardization
related this subject.  Every single one of those National Bodies have
been reported as having voted in favor of progression, and most are
reported as having a membership made entirely, or primarily, of
Microsoft partners.

Is all of this "legal"?  Yes, of course it is...the processes have,
as far as I have been able to tell, been within the letter of the ISO
Directives.  (Of course, I have no clue whether any process
violations have or have not occurred in any given National Body,
other than in the USA.  In the USA, as far as I have been able to
tell, there were no process violations.)

But, is it in the long-term interests of international standards?  I
submit that it is most certainly not!  If very large companies are
always (or nearly always) able to complete subvert the spirit of the
consensus-based process by ensuring that new members with favorable
positions join various standardization bodies just in time to avoid a
defeat (or to ensure a defeat), then everybody else might just as
well quit trying.  And then we're back to the situation 20 or 30
years ago, where another giant was able to do exactly that.  (Clue:
its common name has three capitalized letters.)  We didn't like it
back then, and we shouldn't like it now.  (In fact, Microsoft is
alleged to have complained in several forums about the dominating
tactics used by that other giant...but that was before Microsoft had
the sort of muscle it takes to pull it off.)

Don't get me wrong.  Microsoft has every right to press their
interests in the standards arena, as well as in the marketplace
itself.  But it must do so fairly and within the rules.  I believe
that it has an ethical obligation not to subvert the process for
short-term gain at the cost of destroying the process's long-term
credibility.  Any standards process that comes to be perceived as
nothing more than a marketing arm of some commercial enterprise will
not for long be perceived as a standardization process at all.

One more thing: I have it on impeccable authority that at least two
of the last-minute joiners of one National Body said during a meeting
break that they didn't understand the subject was on which they were
going to vote, but Microsoft had instructed them of exactly what to
say and how to vote -- and paid their membership fees and other
expenses.  If that's true (and, since I wasn't there to hear it, I
can't tell if that "impeccable authority" I mentioned misunderstood
something), then it is probably illegal -- and I do not mean
"violation of standards bodies' rules", but "violation of the law" --
in the country involved.  In the USA, we would call it restraint of
trade, I guess.

In closing, I want it to be clear that I have no personal opinion
about the proposed standard itself.  I have not read the 6500+ pages
of the document, nor have I read the ODF standard.  I love
competition (but doubt that the effect of this is going to be
increased competition) and I care very much about being able to
express complex document semantics in XML.  I use Microsoft products
and I have a love-hate relationship with those products.  I do not
think that Microsoft is the devil incarnate.  What I care about is
the long-term viability of the standards processes.  And I believe
that the, um, fiasco that has been happening with respect to this
proposed standard is truly a train wreck in effect.  Microsoft will
almost certainly (I give it better than 99% probability) of
succeeding in making OOXML an international standard.  But, in the
process, they will have significantly damaged the credibility of the
process itself, and of their own relationship with standardization.

Grumble...
    Jim