len

From: Jim Melton [mailto:jim.melton@acm.org]

In closing, I want it to be clear that I have no personal opinion
about the proposed standard itself.  I have not read the 6500+ pages
of the document, nor have I read the ODF standard.  I love
competition (but doubt that the effect of this is going to be
increased competition) and I care very much about being able to
express complex document semantics in XML.  I use Microsoft products
and I have a love-hate relationship with those products.  I do not
think that Microsoft is the devil incarnate.  What I care about is
the long-term viability of the standards processes.  And I believe
that the, um, fiasco that has been happening with respect to this
proposed standard is truly a train wreck in effect.  Microsoft will
almost certainly (I give it better than 99% probability) of
succeeding in making OOXML an international standard.  But, in the
process, they will have significantly damaged the credibility of the
process itself, and of their own relationship with standardization.

Grumble...
    Jim

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.