Re: [xml-dev] Results of Open XML balloting at INCITS

Michael Kay wrote:

> So the questions are (a) will making OOXML a standard affect the level (or
> duration) of Microsoft's near-monopoly in office software, and

Yes. It will prolong it and make it larger than it otherwise would be
were OOXML not to be standardized. (It will still decrease, but decrease
less with standardization than without.)

> (b) will it
> reduce the costs or increase the compensatory benefits of that monopoly to
> the user community. I certainly can't predict the answers to those
> questions.

No, It won't. Specification of OOXML will accomplish that, but
standardization will not do more than simple specification would.

Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!