RE: [xml-dev] Article on nytimes.com about Microsoft

They did.

The joint ISO/ITU-T ASN.1 group developed the Fast Infoset standard (X.891)
and the Fast Web Services standard (X.892) almost in parallel in 2003-2005.
Fast Web Services uses a schema-based compression method based on a standard
mapping from XML Schema to ASN.1, and therefore it is very efficient but
works only with schema-valid SOAP message infosets.  Fast Infoset is
completely generic and works with any XML infoset corresponding to a
namespace-well-formed XML document (potential or actual).

Alessandro Triglia
OSS Nokalva