Re: [xml-dev] Article on nytimes.com about Microsoft

Antitrust compliance is a legal matter on which I am not competent to comment.

But please note that I am simply trying to point out the mis-statement in the article "Microsoft has developed its own compression standards". Microsoft (along with several other vendors) has implemented multiple, different binary XML encodings inside  different products, each tuned to optimize different characteristics. All of the Microsoft XML serialization formats are available for license, to the best of my knowledge. None are plausible candidates for standardization; for interoperability we encourage people to use XML 1.0 and other text standards.

Dennis Sosnoski <dms@sosnoski.com> wrote:
So I gather Microsoft is using this proprietary WCF internal format to
improve performance between .Net clients and servers, but is not willing
to make it public and allow other implementations?

This sounds remarkably similar to the behaviors that led to past
antitrust actions against Microsoft.

- Dennis