Re: [xml-dev] "Open XML" et al... Blech... Re: [xml-dev] Microsoftbuys the Swedish vote on OOXML?

Stephen D. Williams wrote:
> First, I can't stand it when OOXML is called "Open XML".  That says
> nothing about the application and XML is already open!
>
> Second, I can't help but translate OOXML to Open Office XML

Well, I don't think it would be spilling _too_ many beans to reveal that
one (of the 600 odd) comments the UK made on this text was:

"Proposed change: Change the name of Office Open XML to a name which is
not confused with OpenOffice. SC34 standards usually end with 'DL'
(description langage) 'SL' (schema language), etc. For DIS 29500 a
suitable name is ODDL (Office Document Description Language) [...].

The standard must refer to its proper name throughout (or “this
international standard”) rather than sometimes adopting ad hoc
alternative forms (e.g. “Open XML” in the present DIS)."

So - someone agrees with you!

- Alex Brown.