Re: [xml-dev] "Open XML" et al... Blech... Re: [xml-dev] Microsoft buys the Swedish vote on OOXML?

Michael Kay wrote:
>> Of course free enterprise is a good thing and governments shouldn't
>> interfere. But if governments didn't interfere then there wouldn't be any
>> copyright legislation and MS wouldn't be making any profit at all.

It isn't copyrights that bother me. First on my list is the abuses we've seen
with patenting of software (and life forms). Next is organizations who
contribute to developing a standard but assert an intellectual property claim,
so there's no way to implement the standard without paying a licensing fee.

Any international standard for languages and file formats (including office
documents) should provide a level playing field for all, which includes being
free of such legal encumbrances.

======== Ken North ===========
www.KNComputing.com

www.WebServicesSummit.com
www.SQLSummit.com
www.GridSummit.com

 MS are
wealthy because we, as citizens, have elected governments who have given MS
a license to print money. I'm not saying MS didn't make some good decisions
that led to them winning the jackpot - but the jackpot shouldn't be there to
win.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/