Re: [xml-dev] "Open XML" et al... Blech... Re: [xml-dev] Microsoft buys the Swedish vote on OOXML?

I think this misses the big point. It started in MA and went around the
world - a realisation by government that electronic documentation has
really replaced paper in a very large number of cases. And from that
follows the requirements for the law to continue functioning in a fair
and open manner that electronic documents used by government and public
companies - at least - should be accessible on a permanent basis
irrespective of the existence, let alone success or failure, of the
developer of the electronic format.

So ODF and OOXML can look like they are in a titanic struggle for market
dominance - and that probably suits both of them - but it ignores the
fact that at some point the life and/or well being of an individual or
group  may well depend on the ability of an independent person to stand
up in court and certify that a document says what it appears to say.

eg that has to do explicitly with whether or not key information can be
hidden in a document.

After the paper has gone and after the companies have gone the
commercial, legal, and archive worlds will depend absolutely on how
effective this process has been.

I think that makes the process and surrounding discussions, like this
one, very important.

Regards
Rick