Re: [xml-dev] "Open XML" et al... Blech... Re: [xml-dev] Microsoftbuys the Swedish vote on OOXML?

Bill Kearney wrote:
>> Microsoft shouldn't have confused the market with OOXML.
>>

> Um, no.  More like Open Office shouldn't be piggybacking a lame clone on
> Microsoft's efforts.  If you're going to use ridiculous arguments you might
> as well get them right.

Well... we don't really need to rehash the whole
who-do-we-thank-for-word processors / spreadsheets thing.  I used
WordStar in 1982, WordPerfect later, Visicalc in DOS, etc.  There are
only so many ways (so far) to do a word processor or a spreadsheet, and
the only real innovation that stands out was the original Visicalc.

Microsoft has been paid more than enough for Office and Windows.  That a
substantial competitor as OO can come into existence and grow is simply
a symptom of the pervasive market for office apps.  The reality is that
in a proper market, something that is a commodity should have commodity
pricing, which for software means, eventually, free.  Office apps, for
nearly everyone, are a commodity.

My argument was not ridiculous: OO is a brand in the market, registered
or not, just as WinXp or other informal shorthands for Microsoft
products are.  It may not have a strong corporation ready to defend it's
place in the market to avoid confusion, but that doesn't invalidate my
recognizing it for what it is.

sdw