Re: [xml-dev] The year is 2027, and we need to examine archived XML documents from 2007 ...

>> SNIA created a 100 year archive task force and it has a working group
>> developing
>> a spec for a standard for an archival storage container. It's called the
>> Self-Describing, Self-Contained Data Format (SD-SCDF).
>> http://www.snia-dmf.org/library/SNIA-DMF_Towards_%20SD-SCDF_20070412.pdf

The XAM architecture spec 0.64 includes an example of XSet representation for an
export operation:

<xsets xmlns="http://www.snia.org/2006/xam/export";
 xmlns:xop="http://www.w3.org/2004/08/xop/include";
 xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.snia.org/2006/xam/export/XSet_v1.0spec.xsd";>
 <xset xmlns="http://www.snia.org/2006/xam/export"; version="1.1.0"
 xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.snia.org/2006/xam/export XSet_v1.1.xsd">

The self-describing, self-contained data format designed for a 100-year storage
requirement is based on XAM. Isn't there an inherent problem that there are
dependencies (namespaces and schema) on www.W3.org and www.snia.org? What
assurance is there those domains will exist for 20 years, much less 100?

www.KNComputing.com

www.WebServicesSummit.com
www.SQLSummit.com
www.GridSummit.com