RE: [xml-dev] [Summary] UTF-8 Question: e with acute accent should require two bytes, right?

Precisely.

> Do
> you mean "a character that has a representation in ASCII", or
> do you mean "the ASCII representation of a character"? To my
> mind, since the noun is "character", and "ASCII" is used
> adjectivally, you mean the former.

So what is the meaning of "ASCII" as an adjective?  Does it mean "that is
specified in the ASCII standard", or does it mean "that is supported in the
ASCII standard"?

What is a TCP/IP packet?  Is it a packet as defined in the TCP/IP standard
or a packet that can be carried by TCP/IP?   What is a SOAP envelope?  Is it
an envelope as defined in the SOAP standard or an envelope that is supported
by SOAP?

I read "ASCII character" in a similar way as I read "TCP/IP packet" or "SOAP
envelope" or "HTTP header".  Perhaps other people read it differently.

Alessandro