RE: [xml-dev] [Summary] UTF-8 Question: e with acute accent should require two bytes, right?

> Just because Unicode "LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A" and ASCII
> "Capital Letter A"
> represent the same character, does not mean that Unicode
> "LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A" _IS_ ASCII "Capital Letter A".  It
> is the A character itself that both refer to that is the
> authorative entity, not the ASCII "Capital Letter A" character code.

Who said anything about character codes, I thought we were talking about
characters?

It comes down to what you mean by "an ASCII character". Do you mean "a
character that has a representation in ASCII", or do you mean "the ASCII
representation of a character"? To my mind, since the noun is "character",
and "ASCII" is used adjectivally, you mean the former.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/