SQL5 (was: [xml-dev] SQL4)

Jonathan,

Name "SQL4" was changed to "SQL5" after note of Jim Melton.

+
JR> first  step is to figure out how your approach differs from other existing
JR> approaches, and why it should be used as the standard means, instead of
JR> the standards that currently exist
First of all, i'd like to note, that there are several
ideas (un-bound to each other) in my project.
E.g. request into several DBMS
http://sql50.chat.ru/site/sql50/en/author/mc_eng.htm
and rough equality of strings
http://sql50.chat.ru/site/sql50/en/author/rough_eng.htm

As i understand, you ask only about TML.
(1) Reducing bulkness for output XML (already mentioned)
(2) Input XML and automatic (__without programing__) placing it into tables:
    FKs are necessary for this.
http://sql50.chat.ru/site/sql50/en/author/inout_eng.htm#xml_determination
(3) Wave algorithm:
    FKs are necessary for this.
http://sql50.chat.ru/site/sql50/en/author/wave_eng.htm
(4) Not only input and output (XML)-tree,
    but also processing of trees,
    e.g. inserting and deleting into arbitrary level of tree,
    aggregates along tree.
    Usage of sign *, +, ? as special symbols
http://sql50.chat.ru/site/sql50/en/author/tree_eng.htm
(5) Input and output of BLOBs (essencially actual for pictures).
    Picture is full-right field of a record.
(6) Input and output of data via HTTP:
    fact, this is the most used protocal, means,
    that we will make live easy for unskilled users
    (my phisicists and biologists very ask me !)
(7) Possibility for DBMS to make request to other DBMS
    to assembly information to answer to user.

Purpose is not XML, purpose to get __new level__ of
integral characteristics.

---

JR> and find some partners in other
JR> companies who vehemently agree with you
Companies are interesting about return of already made investment.
They want to return already spent money. I think.

JR> then identify a standards body
JR> that is relevant to your target market.
Russia don't have market in all industries, including software.

JR> I think this is in the same space as two existing standards,
JR> SQL/XML, which is part of the SQL standard
SELECT XMLELEMENT(“post”,
    XMLATTRIBUTES(e.ID, e.TAGS),
    XMLELEMENT(“title”, e.TITLE),
    XMLELEMENT(“category”, e.CATEGORY))
FROM MY_POSTS e
WHERE e.ID = 13;

Very bulky (un-convenient).
This is payment for generality.
In comparison to this, i propose to work with __particular__ data,
i.e. when records are bound by FK.

P.S.
Restriction is overcome by mixing of DDL and TML.

Create view x as ...
x >>

See end of http://sql50.chat.ru/site/sql50/en/author/introduction_eng.htm

JR> XQuery, an XML query language
Very bulky.

---

JR> Remember that standardization is
JR> not an end in itself, but a means to an end.
Excuse me, i don't understand
"not an end in itself, but a means to an end",
rephrase please.

JR> relationship of your language to SQL, SQL/XML, and
JR> XQuery, for the W3C, you would have to think about the relationship of
JR> your language to XQuery.
You suppose to find comman and different part
between SQL5 and each of list (SQL, SQL/XML, XQuery) ?

Dmitry Turin
SQL5      (5.4.0)  http://sql50.chat.ru
HTML6     (6.4.2)  http://html60.chat.ru
Unicode2  (2.1.1)  http://unicode2.chat.ru