Re: [xml-dev] From Pox to Pojo

Well, we do an XML to C++ databinding tool (as you might have gathered from
the sig!), so I'll give my views...

I would say whether databinding is the right thing for a particular
application depends very much on what the requirements are.

I think databinding works best for the more data oriented applications.  In
particular, mixed content is not very well supported.  If your data is
generally data oriented, but has, say, a blob of XHTML in it via an xs:any
specification, then I'd still say databinding is still appropriate.  You'd
use databinding to access the XTHML blob, and then process that using some
other technique (possibly some kind of third-party browser module).

Also the more your XML data is a means to an end rather than an end in
itself, then the more likely databinding is going to be a good fit.  By that
I mean the more you can treat the XML side of things as a black box for your
application, the more databinding will be good for you.  That doesn't mean
that unmarshalling an XML instance into objects, twiddling them and then
marshalling them out again isn't appropriate.  It's just that if that is
your entire reason for existence, then it might be considered a bit lazy and
you could probably do a more efficient job using something like XSLT or SAX.
(Although - I would do the lazy route just because I am more familiar with
it and already have all the tools!)

If your XML data is very large (where 'very large' depends on your system)
then databinding might not be appropriate.  This is because databinding
results in the entire XML instance being represented in memory.  I've never
done any tests to get an idea of how the size of the XML instance compares
with the amount of system memory consumed, but I would expect the consumed
system memory to be less.

Databinding is also very handy if your data persists in the application for
some time, and a number of different code modules dip in and out of it (such
as configuration data).

HTH,

Pete.
Pete Cordell
Codalogic
for XML Schema to C++ data binding visit
 http://www.codalogic.com/lmx/