Re: [xml-dev] SQL5

Hi

1. gotcha - australian colloquial (i guess) - the little things that go
wrong that you just don't expect - they "get you"
2. team size - me
3. yes 30 years - i'm known for me bloody minded persistence -
translation from australian - persistence in the face of potential
failure /impossible difficulties, until the job is done
4. SQL (from memory) was originally defined by Ted Codd as part of
System R - the first relational database. It was later formalised and
then standardised. The standard has been updated over the years. You can
implement SQL by implementing a language that conforms to the standard.
You can extend SQL informally by adding to a conformant product and by
offering the extension to the body that maintains the standard. That's a
reasonable process used all the time by the mainstream database vendors.
Of course you can call anything you like SQL, but if it doesn't have a
conforming base you'll just annoy all your potential customers - they
will object to the deception.
5. one to one translations - ultimately to machine code - is an
important subject, but not enough space to cover that here.

Rick