Re: [xml-dev] What approaches do people use to create tag names and attribute names?

> > 4. There exists a data requirements document; tag and attribute names
> > are distilled from the requirements document. (I am not clear on how
> > tag and attribute names can be systematically distilled from a
> > requirements document; do you have insights on how to do this?)
>
> This probaby only works if you write a requirements document that
> contains element and attribute names... which would be a little
> unusual, I think.

I suppose in most really big markup projects now it is like this:

1. have an NDR for how markup must 'look', these documents also tend
to make requirements about attendant technologies in relation to the
data markup, for example how validation using XML Schema or other
validation mechanisms must be written for working with any format
produced by the project.
2. get domain specific experts to design format.
3. Run format through testing tools, analysis by those that understand the NDR.
4. Repeat until you have some really bad aesthetically unappealing markup.
5. obligatory underwear gnomes reference: Profit!

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen