Re: [xml-dev] xml:lang how often used?

Michael Kay wrote:
>>  I think though now I just realized a really perverse and
>> strange use case I hadn't thought of for having a language
>> identifier different than xml:lang, which is that xml:lang
>> sets the language specification for all attributes + contents
>> of an element, but you could theoretically see situations
>> where attributes for some reason had a different language
>>

> Obvious example, not remotely strange or perverse:
>
> <dictionary xml:lang="fr">
>   <term name="Computer">Ordinateur</term>
>   <term name="Software">Logiciel</term>
>   <term name="File">Fichier</term>
> </dictionary>

if you need a way to specify the language of the name attributes, you
can use the "language information" data category from ITS 1.0:
http://www.w3.org/TR/its/#language-information
"The element langRule is used to express the language of a given piece
of content. The langPointer attribute points to the markup which
expresses the language of the text selected by the selector attribute."
<langRule> is mainly for the purpose that other markup than xml:lang is
used to express language information, e.g. the lang attribute in HTML.
But you can use it also to specify a different inheritance behavior. In
the given example, I assume that there is language information for the
@name attributes available somewhere, e.g. at the root element. So you
would write:

<its:langRule selector="//dictionary/term/@name" langPointer="/@xml:lang"/>

which says: the language of the name attributes is the one specified at
the root of the document.

some more information about language information and xml:lang can also
be found at
http://www.w3.org/International/its/techniques/its-techniques.html#DevLang
(an editor's copy, to be published within this year).

Felix