Re: [xml-dev] xml:lang how often used?

On 19/10/2007, bryan rasmussen <rasmussen.bryan@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Wouldn't it be a better solution to do it the Java i18n way eg:
> >
> > <dictionary>
> >   <term name="Computer"><i18n id="Computer"/></term>
> >
> > and then a language file for each locale:
> >
> > xml_en_UK:
> >   <val id="Computer">Computer</val>
> >
> > xml_fr_FR:
> >   <val id="Computer">Ordinateur</val>
> >

> I think that is not a preferable way because it is still using one
> language as the default, the english one is redundantly maintained
> across all files.

Well you need something for the id/idref - I used English because I'm
English :)

>  How about like this:
>
> > xml_en_UK:
> >   <val id="http://mydictionary.org/5345";>Computer</val>

ah but you need to support sentences, so a single word lookup isn't sufficient.

In Java (well the way Netbeans does it) the id ultimately is
determined by the value in the orginial Class before the i18n
conversion is run, eg for Kernow:

setText("Use caching URIResolver")

becomes:

setText(bundle.getString("Use_caching_URIResolver"))

and then in the de_DE properties file:

Use_caching_URIResolver=Ergebnisse des URIResolver speichern

and also for fr_FR:

Use_caching_URIResolver=Utiliser l'URIResolver qui utilise le cache

It could easily have been the other way around - but because the
original class was in English the id/idrefs are English.  I could
change them all to be numbers, but it doesn't seem worthwhile, and at
least the translators have the sentence they need to translate in the
front of them.

cheers
--
Andrew Welch