RE: [xml-dev] Fast validating XML parser

I agree with Mike's intuition.  Beyond that, you'd have to do more than
say "fast".  If you said something like:  on a 2Ghz Xeon we need to parse
and validate 1000 messages documents per second, of average size 10K bytes
each, with moderately dense markup, and throwing SAX events as the API,
then it's possible that someone would have an intuition as to whether off
the shelf parsers such as Xerces can do it.  Of course, your mileage will
vary according to the details, but saying I need a fast parser is a bit
like saying I need a fast car.  What you mean by fast may depend on
whether you're driving Nascar, Formula 1, or just trying to make good time
on a vacation.

For what it's worth, my group published a paper on some experimental work
we did on high performance validation a few years ago.  The parser we
described was a prototype, and it remains difficult (as far as I know) to
find off the shelf parsers that give quite the speed we reported.
Nonetheless, the paper includes some benchmarks for then-current versions
of Xerces doing validation.  Those are not official Apache or IBM
benchmarks, but they were run with some care, and I expect that Xerces has
probably improved a bit in speed since then.  So, you might want to check
out the paper.  It also explains in great detail some of the factors that
we found to be issues when trying to parse and validate at high speed.
Copies are available online at [1].  I suggest that unless you have a
strong preference for html that you read the PDF version; the formatting
is much better.

Noah

[1]  http://www2006.org/programme/item.php?id=5011

Noah Mendelsohn