customizing a "process.image" template in graphics.xsl

Hi guys,

Is it possible to modify the template above without
physically copying it to a customization layer?

I just want to add the following to the
"process.image" template:

<fo:external-graphic>
    <xsl:if test="ancestor::figure[@role='bordered']">
    <xsl:attribute
name="border-color">black</xsl:attribute>
    <xsl:attribute
name="border-style">solid</xsl:attribute>
    </xsl:if>

The process.image template is huge, and I don't wanna
stuff my XSL with hundreds of code lines. Is there any
more aesthetic way to do that?

I read Mr. Stayton's book but it does not provide a
clear example for such a case.

Best regards,
Roman