RE: [xml-dev] Is Schematron (using XPath 2.0) functionally a superset of XML Schemas?

> I think in ISO Schematron content models are simple enough
> http://www.oreillynet.com/xml/blog/2007/11/converting_xml_sche
> mas_to_sche_7.html

Yes, you can always use regular expressions to implement the grammar rules.
Interestingly, I considered that when I started work on my schema processor,
but abandoned it for two reasons: (a) because of the issue Rick mentions -
diagnostics, and (b) because you don't get any information back about type
assignment, which XSLT and XQuery need.

Since one of the major goals and benefits of Schematron is good diagnostics,
reducing a content model to a regular expression doesn't seem a particularly
smart idea.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/