Re: [xml-dev] 2 questions about Relax NG: ID/IDREF datatype and w hitespace facet

On Nov 15, 2007 4:09 PM, Len Bullard <len.bullard@uai.com> wrote:
> The interesting questions
>
> 1.  Are such ratios common?

Sorta doubt it. If you've got well defined business rules people tend
to hard code everything and assume the rationale behind the now
embedded / partially hidden metadata is well understood...

> 2.  Why do some designs or domains have such high proportions of metadata
> entities to data entities?

If you look at where people are using EAV type databases you'll see
Research and Clinical trials come up; we're both, so I guess that
partially explains it for us: basically, if you're going to do
dynamically generated GUI's  you're going to need configuration tools
that both create and consume metadata in large quantities.

The other existing area that might see large ratios is where RAD tools
are prevalent.  Which makes me think that with a tend towards model
driven development this might start to become more common in other
domains as well.

--
Peter Hunsberger