Re: [xml-dev] Approaches to Expanding the Semantics of a Community'sSelf-Interested XML Vocabulary

Roger,

I'll put the idealistic option 3 aside right away ;-)

Regarding options 1 and 2, I think it is valuable to look at both of
them as translations. The only difference is that option 1 does not keep
the original content ("destructive translation"), while option 2 keeps
the original content via mixed vocabularies ("non-destructive translation").

What I like about option 2 is that it is practical in the sense that it
solves the communication issue between vocabulary experts and
programmers, who are usually different people. I think this
accessibility to content/vocabulary experts is what will make Option 2
eventually successful.

Let me explain my humble theory:

Human content editors most likely know about editing XML and have
knowledge about one or more different vocabularies, but may not know
XSLT or translation programming. But, using mixed vocabularies, content
editors can easily publish content in both vocabularies without having
to edit two documents and providing two URLs, and they don't need to
explain the 'mapping' to developers they may not even know (assuming we
are on the wild Web, not in a specific organization with all the skills
required, clear roles and processes to develop translations).

 From then on, by looking at the examples published on the Web by by
content editors, programmers can take over, extracting mapping patterns
and automating the tedious work of generating mark up for same content
in different vocabularies. Probably by then, most content consumers may
have observed that the mixed vocabulary approach is more common than the
single vocabulary approach and will have accepted the idea of ignoring
whatever tags from a vocabulary they don't understand, instead of
rejecting them as schema invalid. For those consuming clients that
really can't handle mixed vocabularies, server-side filtering requested
via a URL parameter is easy for both manually edited and
programmatically generated mixed vocabulary content.

So, the focus on content experts is what I believe will make Option 2
eventually successful. It is my understanding that the microformats.org
community has followed this model of focusing on human content editors,
and enjoyed spontaneous adoption and success this way.

Over time, some tags in different vocabulary never get used and some get
used a lot, and assuming the content is published on the Web, we can
track usage statistics (http://code.google.com/webstats/). Eventually,
based on these statistics every vocabulary editor incorporates the most
widely used tags from other vocabularies and we reach organically and
chaotically the goal of a single vocabulary, at least for the most
common concepts.

That said, from an implementation standpoint, for option 2, I think I'd
prefer a pure XML or pure HTML implementation instead of the one you
provided:

Pure XML-based mixed vocabulary approach, which allows multiple namespaces:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<v:vcard xmlns="http://www.firstcommunity.org"; xmlns:v="http://www.ietf.org/vcard";><Point-of-Contact>
    <v:fn><Name>John Smith</Name></v:fn>
    <v:adr><Address>
        <v:street-address><Street>10 Tremont St.</Street></v:street-address>
        <v:locality><City>Boston</City></v:locality>
        <v:region><State>MA</State></v:region>
    </Address></v:adr>
    <v:tel><Telephone>617-123-4567</Telephone></v:tel>
</Point-of-Contact></v:vcard>

Pure plain old semantic HTML-based mixed vocabulary approach, which
assumes a single namespace:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

Guillaume