Re: [xml-dev] Approaches to Expanding the Semantics of a Community'sSelf-Interested XML Vocabulary

As Stephen Green mentioned in another reply, a promising approach goes
through RDF. I recently stumbled onto this approach while working on a
completely different problem, and I haven't worked out many details. I
am interested to hear what other people are doing in this area.

I focus on translating instances into RDF graphs. So far I've looked at
the Infoset RDF (http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-infoset-rdfs), a simple
late-bound vocabulary to describe the structure of an XML instance.  A
trivial XSLT stylesheet will convert any XML instance to an RDF/XML
representation of its infoset RDF graph. Then you can query or analyze
it using RDF tools--for instance, a sparql query. You could even use the
sparql CONSTRUCT query to do simple transformations of subgraph patterns.

But, more to your use case.  Suppose you translated instances from two
different communities into infoset RDF/XML.  Then you add assertions to
state the conditions under which subgraphs from the different instances
will be considered "the same". Simple ontology reasoners could produce
merged output, or answer any questions you want to ask of the system.
This is really just a sophisticated translation system, but it occurs
more in the ontological layer than in the semantic and structural layers
of XML.  And it seems like it would be more powerful because it can be
augmented with assertions from any source.

The reverse translation, from RDF to XML instance, would be only
slightly more challenging.  A rough-and-ready approach would be to
process XML sparql results using XSLT.  But a dedicated RDF application
would be better.

The late-bound infoset RDFS vocabulary will not be suitable for all
cases.  It would be nice to have a standard early-bound infoset
vocabulary that used the XML schema terms as an RDFS vocabulary (with
prescribed transliteration where necessary).  Of course, it is trivial
to convert between the two forms, but it seems best to have both forms
standardized so applications can be developed using whichever one is
most suitable.

--Paul Tyson