Re: [xml-dev] MarkMail: now archiving xml-dev

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
> I also notice that the browsing functionality is inferior to what we see
> in a typical mailing list archive.

You're correct, we have yet to implement a browse feature.  The vision
for how one would work hasn't yet gelled in my mind.  If people have
suggestions, I'd like to hear it.  I expect you can do better than just

> Or I can start at the first message like this:
>
> http://xml-dev.markmail.org/message/i37syunytrqq3ih2?q=fast+infoset+does+the+name+fit
>
> But I can't jump from there to the next message. I'm missing basic "Next
> in Thread" links.

Within a thread you can easily view all the messages.  Go here:

http://markmail.org/message/tefklg7tnaozyakx

You'll see above the message there's a thread view holding all the posts
so far in this thread.

The example URL which you included above was you asking a question for
which there was no reply, so no real thread to be seen.

> The obvious question this raises is whether those features simply
> haven't been implemented yet, or whether there's something in the nature
> of XQuery that makes these sorts of queries hard to write or slow? I
> suspect the former. It shouldn't be too hard to write a query that uses
> the Thread-topic, Thread-index and other headers to identify the next
> message in a thread.

Yep, it's already done, if you look at a message that's in a thread.

-jh-