Re: [xml-dev] SOAP/SOA and REST/ROA ???

I don't disagree with what you've written here, but we may not agree on the overall point I was trying to make.  I certainly agree that in the scenario you sketch out, it may be reasonable to conceptualize the various components of the package tracking system as "services", but actually implement them with plain HTTP.  No need to haul out the heavyweight SOAP infrastructure unless it adds some value, and the individual services here may not need to be protocol agnostic, reliable, secure, transactional, addressable by something other than a URI, have a policy attached to them, etc. (i.e., the various values that the WS-* stack adds).

Where I might disagree is using the label REST to describe the implementation of a *service* via HTTP: If the fundamantal abstraction is a "service", what value does the "resource" abstraction add here, and why is it useful to talk about exchanging a representation of the resource as opposed to invoking a service?  I think this is where the whole REST vs SOA discussion went off the rails a few years ago, and my overall point is that we might be able to put it back on track by distinguishing between an HTTP representation of a SOA and a RESTful implementation of a ROA.

 SOA and ROA are useful distinctions at the level of architectural principles, but things will get confusing at the level of actual tools.  So, a pure-HTTP implementation of a SOA is not an oxymoron, nor is the use of ROA principles in management protocols that have "WS-" prefixes. You wouldn't see the difference in terms of the bits on the wire, of course, but this argument has never been about bits on the wire, it's been about archtectural principles and fruitful abstractions.  As an analogy, you wouldn't be able to easily distinguish OO from procedural code by looking at the instructions actually being executed (especially if the code was compiled using optimization).  That doesn't mean that this isn't a meaningful distinction, just that it is a useful description at the level of programming languages, not running programs.

noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:
Mike Champion writes:

> The recent thread on SOAP and SOA prompts me to wonder whether
> the more appropriate comparison should be "Resource Oriented
> Architecture vs Service Oriented Architecture", not whether
> SOAP or REST is "better" or whether SOA implies SOAP or not.

I'm not sure about that. Maybe I've shipped a package, and the shipper
has given me a tracking number. I want to be able to write programs or
scripts that, given the tracking number, contact the shipper and find out
where my box was last sited or when it's expected to be delivered. Being
able to decompose the work we do into these relatively high level and
decoupled "services" seems to me the essence of SOA. I think the concept
applies whether I decide to do a simple implementation using REST, or
perhaps a more sophisticated one using WS*, in which the shipper uses Web
Services Security to sign the promised shipping date, so I can prove that
it's been committed.

So, I think the SOA concept talks to how we structure the work we do, and
what information flows between party; REST and WS* seem to me to be
plumbing. I think they apply to partially overlapping sets of SOA use
cases.

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation