Re: [xml-dev] SOAP/SOA and REST/ROA ???

Mike Champion writes:

> Where I might disagree is using the label REST to describe the
> implementation of a *service* via HTTP: If the fundamantal
> abstraction is a "service", what value does the "resource"
> abstraction add here, and why is it useful to talk about exchanging
> a representation of the resource as opposed to invoking a service?

From a customer's or system integrator's perspective:  I want to access
the service that tells me where my package is.

From the network architect's perspective:  I've chosen to use REST.  The
way REST models this is to provide a "resource" that has as its state the
location of the package, mint a URI a for that resource, and use HTTP GET
to get a representation that tells me where the package is.

I think you are going just a bit to far in identifying SOA with plumbing.
SOA is, I think, closer to what I've set out as the customer's and system
implementor's perspective above.

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street