RE: Fwd: [xml-dev] Data versioning strategy: address semantic, re lationship, and syntactic changes?

Len Bullard writes:

> Please elaborate on the shades of gray.

I'm a bit worried that our exchange may be going on long enough to be
bothersome to other readers of the list, but sure:  all I meant by shades
of gray is what was captured in my "country code" example.  Is that
country code in the accept set or not?  It's clear that for certain
purposes it is completely incompatible.  If you try to dial the phone
number without the country code, then you will have unaccetable
consequences.  So, probably it's not in the accept set.  Then again, I
proposed rules that would make that same country code acceptable for many
other important purposes.  We're not even going to completely ignore it:
we'll save it with the purchase order, pass it on if we relay the order,
sign it with a DSIG, maybe even use some default rules for extension
content to print it along with the rest of the phone number.

So, all I meant by "shades of gray" is that compatibility is in that sense
a matter of degree.  Some language that provide for extension content also
provide default interpretations for that content.  Furthermore, many
applications that accept extensible languages as input have default rules
for processing or manipulating that extension content.  Awhile ago I wrote
a note on this topic on the TAG mailing list.  If you're interested, it's
at [1].  There's been sporadic followup discussion but no easy consensus
on how to think about these things.  By the way, I give in that note my
understanding of Tim BL's positions on certain things;  I don't think he's
confirmed that I understood him correctly, so please don't blame him for
things he didn't (necessarily) say.

Anyway, if I were another reader of this list I'd probably be anxious to
see this bit of the exchange wrap up, so I propose we let it go and give
others a chance to chime in.  Of course, I'll be glad to keep going if
that's for the best.  Thanks.

Noah

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2007Jun/0092

Noah Mendelsohn