RE: Fwd: [xml-dev] Data versioning strategy: address semantic, re lationship, and syntactic changes?

Hi Len,

Another article might help..

http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2006/12/20/a-theory-of-compatible-versions.html

One of the things that we have not been able to define at the TAG, and are currently shying away from, is defining information or
semantic compatibility.
My estimation is that syntactic compatibility can be defined in a reasonable amount of time, but that defining how sets of
information or semantics are compatible is a doctoral thesis on it's own, if not more.  Let me know if you (or anybody else) know(s)
of something even modestly straightforward on how compatibility of information could be defined in any kind of mathematical sense,
set or otherwise.

Cheers,
Dave