RE: [xml-dev] RE: Caution using XML Schema backward- or forward-compatibility as a versioning strategy for data exchange

Hi Tom,

A colleague just sent me something that I find helpful:

A client may perform the following steps on
the data it retrieves from a web service:

1. Validate you get what you expect
2. Understand what you get
3. Use what you get

A web service may make the following artifacts available to clients to
assist them with "validating that they get what they expect":

(a) A grammar-based schema for validating that the retrieved data
contains the expected tags and they are arranged in the expected order.
(b) A rule-based schema for validating that the relationships of the
data are as expected (co-constraints, cardinality constraints, and
algorithmic constraints are fulfilled).

The technologies for these artifacts are:

(a) XML Schema, RELAX NG, DTD
(b) Schematron

[To tie this back to an earlier email, I assert that these "validation
artifacts" are one thing and a "versioning strategy" is another, and
the two should be separate.]

A web service may also make artifacts available to clients to assist
them with "understanding what they get":

(a) A document (or documents) to help clients understand the data they
retrieve

There are many technologies to achieve this, including prose (i.e.
create a web page that client developers can read), data dictionary,
RDF/S, OWL.

/Roger