Re: [xml-dev] RE: Caution using XML Schema backward- or forward-compatibility as a versioning strategy for data exchange

On 30/12/2007, bryan rasmussen <rasmussen.bryan@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll put in that Schematron is useful for specifying more than just
> co-constraints when one is talking about compatibility, it could be
> used as technical documentation as to compatibility axis of various
> elements.

Yes, and one aspect that is oft mentioned with schematron is
traceability to business requirement, which is moving towards semantic
understanding, so it might be possible to provide URI links to other
resources which describe them ?

Schematron is a very useful technology for checking technical and
business assertions (if we can separate them), are we suggesting that
a schematron schema (or perhaps an XSD annotated with schematron or
XSD 1.1) is another artefact that can be provided by the service owner
in order to express and/or assist with compliance to a service
interface ?

It is still presumably only one step closer to semantics, and does not
provide for complete understanding ?, but does have obvious advantages
over prose (i.e. less ambiguity, machine processable)

Fraser.