Re: [xml-dev] RE: Caution using XML Schema backward- or forward-compatibility as a versioning strategy for data exchange

> - each specifying within the WSDL the meaning of the distance

What mechanism in WSDL are you expecting to be able to define semantics ?

Accepting the idea that it might be possible to define schemata that
provide sufficient meta-data to ensure that semantics are [less]
ambiguous (i.e. your idea that the introduction of the 'method'
attribute') is fair enough, but we also need to consider the case that
Michael [Kay] outlined, that of 'semantic drift'. An information item
that starts out with one purpose and over time drifts into other uses,
and of course that very often we don't create a perfect schema in
version 1.0 with all future needs catered for :-)

As far as the approach of creating a new URL for what in some cases
should be considered as minor revision changes (note: I don't include
a semantic change as one of those), I agree, this seems to be an
un-necessary overhead. Thats why I prefer to categorize changes as
breaking and non-breaking where non-breaking should provide at least
backwards compatibility and ideally forwards as well.

Fraser.