RE: [xml-dev] Using Saxon 9 as a Schematron 1.5 back end

> Is this something that's worth fixing in the spec? If David
> wants to update the SAX spec to clarify it, I for one would
> be perfectly happy to update our (GNU) parser to report the
> coordinates of the start angle bracket instead.

For reporting errors in schemas and stylesheets, it's the line number and
column number of individual attribute values that's really needed.

When you're reporting errors in element content then the "<" at the start of
the start tag would probably be less confusing than the current situation,
but changing the meaning of the existing value would be most confusing of
all (semantic drift again...).

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/