Re: [xml-dev] Using Saxon 9 as a Schematron 1.5 back end

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 15:14:58 -0000, David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
wrote:

> For this usage, the (ISO) schematron skeleton files include templates
> that output xpaths (not using any prefixes) to the context of the
> message. (It also has templates that make xpaths with prefixes, suitable
> for human readable error messages, but in many XPath API, it's just
> simpler to report something as
> /*[10]/*[5]
> rather than
> /a:b[3]/c:d[2]
> and then worry how to bind the namespace prefixes.

That's a useful general approach when you don't want to know anything
about the content.  In truth, when I'm generating XPaths for particular
projects, I not only want names, but I make use of any unique IDs or
human-readable names in the document, as it can make things easier for
humans (i.e. sometimes a human will look at the XPath and realise where
the problem is, without having to paste the XPath into an editor or some
other tool).  There is probably some semi-generic way of doing this,
although I haven't tried to do anything that re-usable so far (re-writing
the XPath generation XSLT on a case-by-case basis isn't such a big task,
in practice).

Cheers, Tony.
--
Anthony B. Coates