Re: [xml-dev] Using Saxon 9 as a Schematron 1.5 back end

Henri Sivonen wrote:

>> As many XML editors can use an XPath just as easily as line/column
>> numbers to take you to a particular place in a document, I usually
>> find it sufficient to return an XPath.

Some editors can use it, yes. Not all.

> That's not what I need for Validator.nu. Every other library that I use
> supports reporting errors with SAX locator data and, therefore, I've
> built a front-end based on lines and columns. I control the locator and
> I want to be able to retrieve both the line and column that I carefully
> put in.

And what happens when you start to edit an xml file that isn't pretty
printed Henri? Mikes issues of the 'single line' XML file.

That seems to be a case of covering some percentage, just as assuming
all editors can highlight an xpath location in a file only covers
some percentage.

I've tried to explain the simplicity of the work DC did at
http://www.dpawson.co.uk/nodesets/entries/0801231.html
I.e. using the xpath location as a way of 'pointing' to a location in
the source XML file?
That way the edit/parse/view errors is pretty easy using a browser
alongside the editor.

And it works for any XML file too.

regards

--