Re: [xml-dev] XPath 2.0 Best Practice Issue: Graceful Degradation

noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com a écrit :
> Philippe Poulard writes:
>
>> Schema technologies were primarily designed to express constraints
>> on XML document classes.
>
> To add a bit more detail, the following is the text of the section of the
> Schema Recommendation that describes the purpose of a schema [1]
>

>> Unfortunately, schema technologies are still trailing behind. (One
>> of) the missing feature(s) is the support of semantics data types.
>
> See those last two sentences in the "purpose" section.   It's not at all
> clear to me that Schema structures is the right place to go after these
> semantic types,

Well, so far you added more details -interesting details- but, as you
said, you are talking about W3C XML Schema ; my thoughts weren't
restricted to a specific schema technology ; DTD, Relax NG and
schematron are also concerned.

  except insofar as the existing ability to define named
> types, and inheritance hierarchies in which both the intensional
> refinement of a type (I.e. it's base type chain) as well as its
> extensional refinement (a restriction allows no more than its base)
> matter.  To make that last bit clearer, what I'm trying to say is, you can
> have two vacuous restrictions of integer, one named "employeeAge" and one
> named "partNumber".  They both accept the same numbers, but you can't put
> xsi:type="partNumber" on an element that's expecting an "employeeAge".
> That's what I meant by intensional as well as extensional, and it takes
> you just a bit of the way toward semantic typing.

True. Just a bit.
I'm upset that there is no more : in many languages you can deal with
semantic data types, I complain that we have not the same support on XML
technologies. The examples Roger and I were talking about in the thread
are not so complex ; very simple solutions can be considered to enhance
the type system in XML ; this is what I have experimented in the
implementation of RefleX.

--
Cordialement,

               ///