RE: [xml-dev] ten years later, time to repeat it?

Let me be the first to throw the cold water. :-)

I'd say it will be far harder now than then.  In those days, the entire cast
of SGMLers could be squeezed into one conference room with lots of lurkers.
Today that would not be the case.

Tim tells a good story from one point of view and a central one, but XML
gathered a very large pride of contributors particularly once the spec was
published and the hard work began in earnest.  How many applications and
their implementations will be undone or undoable?

In those days, while the sites that did use SGML were quite large and housed
mission critical data and were mostly in the US.  Today we have a problem
identifying what the most significant uses of XML are and where the
significant uses of XML are.  The ones we do know about, on the other hand,
are spread all the way across the planet.

<pointedTroll>
Are you actually DEFENDING the Mixed Content model, Simon?
</pointedTroll>

len

From: Simon St.Laurent [mailto:simonstl@simonstl.com]

In celebration of XML's 10th anniversary yesterday, I thought it might
be time to post a suggestion.

SGML became ISO 8879 in 1986.  Ten years later, the XML process was
busily examining how to build a subset of SGML, keeping the good parts
and discarding the rest.  XML 1.0 was the result.

I suspect my suggestion is fairly obvious: it's time to look into
creating a subset of XML that hits the current 80/20 point - creating
something that is (learning from the previous project) compatible with
XML parsers, but which (again) does more by doing less.

As with XML, the imprimatur of some standards organization would be very
helpful in spreading this simplification.

A lot of this work has already been discussed over the years - it's not
an entirely new suggestion.  I'm mostly wondering if ten years is enough
time to take the political sting out of the suggestion, though Tim Bray
has certainly reminded everyone [1] that even at ten these kinds of
things aren't simple.

I don't expect that this project would create the same kind of
revolution that XML itself did - but it could continue the acceleration
of data-sharing that XML provided.  (And while I do like JSON,
mixed-content documents remain critically important.)

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.