Re: [xml-dev] ten years later, time to repeat it?

I don't have the breadth of experience that many on this list have, but to
me mixed content seems pretty important to a document oriented view.  In
that scenario, in a world where few things are ever perfect, XML seems about
as good as you can get (entities, namespaces and other things that people
grumble about aside).

This provision for document features does compromise XML for purely
data-applications though, where JSON seems to be better.

My view is that the world could do with 2 data formats, something XML-like
primarily for documents and something JSON-like for pure data.  In this
view, tools like XSLT would be able to consume both formats (possibly using
some form of auto-detection and using some form of XML infoset common
intermediate form) and maybe even be able to output both formats (via some
kind of switch).

That said, JSON seems to be contaminated with JavaScript cruft.  For
example, instead of:

    "foo": 123

you should be able to do:

    foo: 123

AIUI it is now considered bad form to directly put JSON into a JavaScript
eval statement, so these extra quotes are already only there for historical
reasons.  JSON's set of types seems pretty limited also.  So maybe while
re-writing XML, it would be worthwhile re-writing JSON also!

Pete Cordell
Codalogic
Visit http://www.codalogic.com/lmx/ for XML C++ data binding