SQL instead of XQuery [offtopic]

Michael,

>> MK> cases where it works well:
>> MK> (a) where the documents map well to the business objects that are
>> MK> the primary information content of the database.
>> What is the business objects ?
MK> Sometimes it's obvious ("hotels").

Xml-element in document is business object for me.
I'm still not understanding, to where document must be mapped.
I understand, e.g., mapping to tables of relational engine.

Probably your 'mapping' means not process, but state,
i.e. means presence of xml-element (and ignorance of its place
in xml-tree).

>> MK> When these conditions don't hold, for example with an HR
>> MK> database ...document-centred modelling certainly has its limitations.
>> What limitations ?
MK> railway timetable, then there is no obvious or unique way of representing
MK> the information as a set of documents

Documents for storaging data or
documents, created on base of first-s to present information to user ?
There is obvious scheme(s) to store,
but i admit, that presentation multi-dimensional space in plane maybe
not obvious and even not satisfing requirements of usability.

MK> [then] arguments for storing the data in XML are not strong.

Problem of plane presentation is the same both for storing xml and
storing in relational engine.
You can store data itself also in xml, isn't it ?

Dmitry Turin
HTML6     (6. 5.3)  http://html60.euro.ru
SQL5      (5.11.1)  http://sql50.euro.ru
Unicode7  (7. 2.1)  http://unicode70.euro.ru