Re: [xml-dev] ten years later, time to repeat it?

Len Bullard wrote:
> That makes sense.
>
> Does anyone have insight into how much XML parser development is going on
> these days?

A shocking amount, most of which I've seen founder on these very shoals.
  I've lost count of the number of "new and improved" parsers and APIs
that have gotten up to the internal DTD subset and quit. Check em out on
freshmeat some time.

A few have pushed through and actually implemented a conformant parser.
However the internal subset is usually the last piece done, and that's
the point at which a previously unbelievably speedy parser suddenly
slows down to about where Xerces is. (It happened to StAX.) There's just
a lot of overhead to the internal DTD subset. Outside of XML tutorials,
it's not even used all that often. :-(

Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!