len

From: Elliotte Harold [mailto:elharo@metalab.unc.edu]

Len Bullard wrote:
> Somewhere in that reply is the logical condition that some members of the
> audience aren't human. ;-)
>
> This part of the discussion seems to have the most knots.  Can you clarify
> the positions?  Requiring a parser to explicitly ignore characters doesn't
> seem right to me but I likely misunderstand.

I'm simply proposing that we stick with the white list approach of XML
1.0 rather than the black list approach of XML 1.1. List the characters
that are acceptable. Don't allow characters in names that are likely to
cause severe interoperability problems.

As a best practice, I'd go even further than I would in the spec. You
have to name your elements in a natural language spoken by all (or at
least the plurality of) the recipients. The chance that such names are
not supported by XML 1.0 is miniscule. The chance that these names are
not supported by Unicode 5.0 is non-existent.

In 1997 one could plausibly argue that Cambodian, Amharic, and Burmese
had yet to be encoded in Unicode and therefore an open approach was
necessary. In 2007 this no longer holds water. There simply is no well
from which significant new characters will be drawn. Possibly a *few*
ideographs that Chinese speakers might wish to use will yet be coined
during XML's lifetime; but not nearly enough to justify changing the
basic design of XML.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.