From: noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com [mailto:noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 4:11 PM
To: Len Bullard
Cc: Michael Kay; 'Eric van der Vlist'; xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Are documents loosing the web?

(finally catching up with this thread)

One of the reasons that the "document" model is so compelling on the Web
is that it's closely tied to linking, I think.  Let's say I have a program
that's just running along.  I want to show you something from that
program.  What do I link to?

Now consider something like Google maps.  It's not as obviously a
"document" application as would be a simple Web page.  You can drag the
map in a nearly analog way, you can zoom, etc.  Crucially, though, there's
a sort of document metaphor layered on all this.  If I want to show you
the map of the W3C's Headquarters, I can ask my client and get this link (
http://local.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=mit+stata+center,+cambridg
e,+ma&ie=UTF8&ll=42.36682,-71.100898&spn=0.01931,0.038452&z=15&iwloc=A
).  So, there's a sense in which the state of the application is modeled
as a nearly infinite set of documents, a subset of which I see in sequence
a I interact with the application.  That's not a concept that we would
have bothered to apply to the structure of Lotus 1-2-3, say, because there
was no value.  In that application, you just zoomed, scrolled, etc., and
most of the application's state would be saved to a file when you asked
for that.

So, I think it's too facile to just say that the time is passing for
documents as an organizing principle for applications.  It's always been a
tradeoff, but I would argue that the Web, and linking in particular,
encourages us to think in terms of document views of applications, at
least in many cases.

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation