Re: [xml-dev] RESTful operations on document fragments

Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> Am I required to perform RESTful operations only against a complete
> resource?
>
> For example, if I want to fix a typo in one verse of the Old Testament
> XML file, should I really send the entire 3.3MB document, or is there a
> way to convey in RESTful parlance that an update is only for a portion
> of a document?

There's an active blog discussion going on right now between (in
alphabetical order) Subbu Allamaraju, Tim Bray, Roy Fielding, Joe
Gregorio, Mark Nottingham. Dare Obasanjo, Aristotle Pagaltzis, Sam Ruby,
Robert Sayre, James Snell, and probably some others I've left out, about
using PATCH as a means to do RESTful partial updates. It's not exactly
what you asked for, but maybe another way to solve the problem.

You might start here and see where the links take you:
http://www.snellspace.com/wp/?p=894

Jim