RE: [xml-dev] Re: XML element names

> Michael, I would have to disagree with this. EDI had/has
> cryptic characters

I certainly wouldn't argue for cryptic identifiers. Rather, you want to
choose identifiers that are meaningful to the largest possible number of
people within the community that will encounter them. The more international
your operation, the more likely it is that this purpose will best be served
by using the Latin alphabet. Certainly before you use characters from a
wider repertoire, you need to think hard about the possibilities this will
open for increased confusion.

Even if you're marking up scholarly texts in Coptic, it's quite likely that
you will want to use a tag vocabulary that's used for a wide variety of
languages and therefore needs to be understood by people who have no
knowledge of Coptic.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/