Re: [xml-dev] Nested Documents

noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com a écrit :
> So, a question:  what would be the cost/benefit of allowing XML
> declaration(s) nested to arbitrary depth within an XML document?  I think
> the semantics should probably be that nested documents have semantics
> relatively independent of the container, which suggests that namespace
> prefix bindings not be inherited, that there be a separate scope for
> ID/IDREF resolution and conflict detection, etc.  Of course, there are
> significant complexity tradeoffs,
Instead of pipelines, I prefer use nested XSL-T documents to interpret
documents with nested  XHTML documents, nested SVG graphics
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/txs)... Nested documents is a pertinent
idea from my point of view !
>   Even if the specfication for the XML
> part of this could be written in a clean and compact way, there would
> obviously be knock-on effects on APIs, XPath, XML Query, XML Schema, etc.
> So, this would be a not at all trivial or entirely compatible change to
> the stack.

Which doesn't mean months but years to wait... It's time to start !
> I'm not at all convinced that the community is ready for a new XML at all,
> and if it is, I'm not ready to claim that that the benefits of doing this
> now outweigh the attendant cost and confusion.  Still, if we're
> daydreaming about newer and cleaner XMLs, I think this should at least be
> part of the debate.

The trouble is when we need to develop our own workarounds and add-ons
(I'm guilty too...and I am proud of it !) : let's be pragmatic on how we
use XML 1.0 today and let's see what should be studied to become a new
recommendation. Is there someone to log the ideas expressed by the
community ?
> Noah

> Noah Mendelsohn
> IBM Corporation