Re: [xml-dev] Accept-Charset and XML declaration?

bryan rasmussen wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 1:24 PM, Chris Burdess <dog@bluezoo.org> wrote:
>> bryan rasmussen wrote:
>>  > I was just wondering, what SHOULD happen if I have an XML file server
>>  > side that has encoding UTF-16 with a declaration of that, and my
>>  > accept-charset header sent by my client is iso-8859-1?
>>
>>  406
>
> I figure it's a 406 if the server is XML aware, but if it was XML
> aware it could go ahead and transform the UTF-8 to iso-8859-1 and send
> it, in which case it wouldn't need to do a 406.

Note that 406 is truly optional, see

"Note: HTTP/1.1 servers are allowed to return responses which are not
acceptable according to the accept headers sent in the request. In some
cases, this may even be preferable to sending a 406 response. User
agents are encouraged to inspect the headers of an incoming response to
determine if it is acceptable." --
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2616.html#rfc.section.10.4.7>

BR, Julian